Throughout my career, there have been times when it seemed easier to quit than to keep going. Sometimes, the amount of work it takes to get where you want to go can just seem too much. There were times when I felt envious of my friends that were going to cocktail hours and relaxing at home watching TV when I was working. Night after night of home parties was exhausting at times. There is a tradeoff to get what you really want. You have to give in on something in order to really go for what you want. Sometimes it can feel like things aren’t working out and there is nothing you can do about them. I am here to tell you, when things get hard, don’t give up! Life is about “failing” and learning. And I say “failing” in quotes, because honestly there are no real failures, just lessons. Just a chance to do better next time. The most successful people, fail forward. Follow your dreams and never give up on them. Here are 5 reasons to never give up on your dreams that have helped me in times of doubt.
1. Failure is a part of life. Understanding this can be a great motivation to never give up on your dreams. If you find you are failing at certain aspects of your business, don’t panic. Failure is a learning experience. It’s how we figure out what to improve on. Some people stop dead in their tracks when pursuing their dreams because they are so afraid of failure. Don’t be one of them. The worst thing that can happen is you find out that technique or that closing or that approach didn’t work so well. So you fine tune it and you are better the next time.
2. You don’t want to spend your life wondering…”what if?” We only have one life to live, don’t reach the end of it wishing you had followed your dreams. If you have always wanted to be a rockstar, then pick up a guitar and start taking lessons. Your life will be better because of it. It helps to really narrow down your dreams and describe them in detail. Starting is often the hardest part! By breaking your dreams down into smaller goals, you can work your way to the top. Think about what you would say to your kids about their dreams. Of course, you would tell them to go for it. Treat yourself the same way.
3. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, as the saying goes. One way to never give up on your dreams is to keep pushing. Stay persistent and it will give you strength. Take riding a bike for example. It is one thing most of us learn to do as children (and one of the most painful, lol.) It takes us several tries and scraped knees, but at the end of the day we become stronger for it and more likely to succeed in our next venture. Sometimes, life can throw you too many curve balls at once and you can feel like, okay, I have enough character already but it is true, it all does weave together to become our story, to be a part of our journey. Never take for granted or assume you know what someone else has been through. It is amazing when we really take the time to listen to an older person’s life story, how much challenge and hardship there has usually been mixed in with all the good things. If you were 90 years old, what would you say today to your younger self? What would you want the younger you to do?
4. It’s about the journey, not the destination. How many people do you know that went to college for one subject, but then ended up working in a totally unrelated field? When you have a dream, it can lead you to new dreams. By pursuing our dreams, we learn more about ourselves and what we really want. If we never try, we not only never know if we could do it, we lose all of the growth that happens along the way. My very favorite part of the network marketing profession is the personal development that happens along the way. Proof that the journey is the best part. Achieving a rank is great, but who did you become in the process of getting there?
5. Your dreams inspire others! This is so important in the network marketing profession. By never giving up on my dream to reach one of the highest ranks in my company, I know I have inspired many people who are now very valuable team members. People want to work with leaders who inspire them. Who set the example. When you share your dreams with your team, then they in turn are encouraged to share theirs. You never know what sharing your story will mean to someone sitting in the audience. Someone may come up to you years later and say that the day you spoke, they made a decision that changed their life. Our words, our examples, our stories are so incredibly powerful. Never take for granted how meaningful it is to dream your dreams AND to go for them. One foot in front of the other. People really are watching!
I hope this has give you more reason to never give up on your dreams! If you ever get discouraged or start feeling negative, use one of my favorite tricks. Take a pencil and a piece of paper and write down dreams you are thankful for that you have accomplished. Think of how you felt when you achieved that dream and let the negativity slowly melt away. Keep on dreaming and don’t forget…NEVER GIVE UP!
P.S. I hope these network marketing tips are of value to you. If you liked my post on following your dreams, I think you will love my blog post on generosity! You also may enjoy this additional training about Success Secrets From Top Team Builders.