Consistency is Key
Learning how to be consistent is the best way to achieve long-term greatness in anything you do – from taking care of your health, your network marketing business or your relationships. However, learning how to be consistent is also the one thing that we humans have the most difficult time perfecting! It is most difficult when we are trying to improve something in our life. Unfortunately, we have no choice but to learn to be consistent in anything we do. In network marketing, consistency translates into making more money and creating the life you really want!
Here are just a few simple steps to learn if you want to improve an aspect in your life and become more consistent with anything you do. Set time aside for actions that will get you further in your career or your personal life. Those goals are definitely worth working on. The rewards are huge and you will never be disappointed. Here are five steps to learn how to be more consistent.
5 Steps on the Road to Consistency
1. Remember to keep THE WHY you are trying to achieve your goals if you are going to stay connected to what you are doing. It is very important if you are going to have a clear compelling vision of what you’re trying to achieve and know why you want to. VISUALIZE the house you want, the car you wish to drive, the life you want for you and your family. This will fuel your fire. I am a big fan of dream boards. I have a dream board for every major area of my life. One of these days I am going to create a video showing you my dream boards that I created years ago and show you what has come true from those visions.
2. Do not make a generalized plan to “be more consistent.” It is important to pick your battles carefully. Just pick one or two things that you want to work on and stick with it. It is just a common fact that all of us have a limited capacity when it comes to will power and discipline. For example, a doctor or therapist will recommend that you don’t try to quit something like consuming sweets and drinking at the same time – otherwise you might fail at both. Instead, try to be more consistent with JUST ONE particular aspect of your life, like making more prospect phone calls. Setting specific goals will give you something to strive for. We just can’t achieve everything at once otherwise we will overwhelm ourselves.
3. It is important that you create space in your schedule to work on your goals. Stephen Covey, the highly regarded author of the best-selling “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” once said, “Don’t prioritize your schedule, schedule your priorities.” That distinction may be subtle, but it is also very important. If you are trying to make a specific activity or trait more consistent in your life, you have to build your whole life around it rather then trying to fit it in your normal daily schedule. For example, if you are trying to to build your network marketing business, it is important to set aside a few hours or more each day to do so. None of us think we have enough time, yet we do find time for the most important things. If you aren’t getting to something, it may be because you haven’t decided that it is really important to you.
How to Be More Consistent
4. You have to improve your willpower and ignore your feelings. That is, you need to ignore that voice in your head that says: “I don’t feel like it!” Anytime you are trying to be consistent at something that is important to you, you will sometimes hear that little voice. You have to train yourself to overpower that voice in your head if you want to learn how to be consistent. You just cannot be consistent without improving your willpower and remembering that you have to practice whatever it is you are trying to improve over and over again, even if you don’t feel like it. It is also important to ignore the negative voices inside your head. You know, those voices that say: “I can’t do this,” or “I can’t seem to stick with this!” or “I’m too lazy!” Just keep working on it and you will get better. Remember, that it is okay if the changes are occurring slowly – it is impossible to be perfect at everything. One of the biggest mistakes we make in our network marketing business is not giving it enough time – both short term time and long term time. You have to carve out the time and decide it is unconditional.
5. Most important of all: be realistic – it takes time to practice! Keep in mind that you won’t start out always being consistent 100% of the time but that’s okay. Be kind to yourself! Don’t think that if you miss one workout or one day meeting prospects, that it was a waste. It is okay to fall off the wagon time and time again – everyone does. Just don’t think that because you fell off the wagon that you can’t catch up… you just need to run and catch up to it! What is that old saying – “It isn’t about how many times you fall down. It is about how many times you get back up!”