Are you confused about what to do next in your personal life or business? A vision board is a great way to plan your future. A vision board can be an extremely powerful tool to manifest the goals you desire. You wouldn’t even believe some of the things that have come true that started out as an image on my vision board! A vision board is made up of a variety of images, words and ideas. But it is much more than that! It also contains what excites and inspires you and sets out a blueprint for what you most desire in your future. In this post, I am going to dive deep into the power of the vision board and how it can help you become successful in business and life! I remember the first vision board (I call them dream boards too!) I created years ago, I thought the exercise was fun but wasn’t sure I really believed or understood them. I absolutely love my dream boards now and have created travel size versions so I can always take them with me. Sitting with a cup of tea and reviewing my dream boards have become part of my almost daily ritual. They quickly take me to my happy place!
The vision board’s power comes from the act of intentionally creating something to be a visual representation of everything you want to have or do in your life. If you hang the vision board on your wall or next to your computer or on your bathroom mirror, it will become a daily reminder to help you achieve your goals. By surrounding yourself with images of who you want to be, who you want to be with, what your house looks like, what your business is made up of and where you want to travel with – essentially, what you want your best life to look like. You will find that by reviewing the dream boards regularly that your energy will change about your business goals and your lifestyle dreams. Suddenly, you will find it easier to focus on those goals and truly achieve what you desire. The tactile process of creating your vision board – choosing images, cutting them out and gluing them on the board will cause your brain to work in a totally new way and spark your creativity.
A vision board can be used for many things. It can be used to help you design what you want your business to look like. The vision board can be used to visualize the person you want to become to run a successful business. In summary, the vision board can be used to plan out your dream life. Are you interested in creating your own vision board now? Here is a step-by-step process to create a powerful vision board to support your dream business:
1. Define: First you have to decide if you want to create a vision board for every aspect of your life (business goals, brand goals, personal goals, travel goals, dream house, etc.) or just one aspect. Next, think about what you want to create. Do not be afraid to think about details. What would every aspect of your dream life look like? What would you wear? Where would you live? What would your office look like? Where would you work from?
2. Choose a base: Once you know what you truly want, you can start gathering the images together to create your vision board. First, gather up the base. I recommend using poster board, a cork board (if you use push pins you can continue to add, subtract and rearrange components or journals/sketchbooks. If you want to create a virtual board, you can use Pinterest.
3. Collect images: Once you have chosen your base, you can start collecting images. The best way to start is to gather together some of your favorite magazines and start cutting out anything and everything that appeals to you. Don’t censor yourself or spend too much time questioning your desires. Just choose everything that appeals to you! You can also tear out pages of typography with words, quotes or phrases that speak to you. Do not be afraid to go beyond tangible items – search for images that represent more abstract goals like creativity, freedom and flow. You can also go beyond pictures and add jewelry, napkins, cards and anything else that strike your fancy.
4. Curate: Once you have gathered together images and words, it is time to put them together on your vision board to make a cohesive vision. Start out by choosing those images, words or items that speak to you very clearly and eliminate what no longer seems to fit. Often times, we feel pressure to want certain things – a large home, a fancy come, a substantial income. The vision board is great because it helps us determine what we actually want, deep down. When choosing words, pull out those terms that describe the way you want to be in your business and your life.
5. Display: Once you have finished creating your vision board, make space so that you can easily see it. Part of the power of the vision board comes from viewing them regularly, both consciously and subconsciously. I keep my portable travel vision boards tucked inside my journal and before I start my spiritual practice, I spend a few minutes going over my dream boards. Truly takes me to a happy and creative place right away! I am not kidding when I say I LOVE my vision boards!
6. Review: Be sure to look at your vision board regularly. Pay attention to what emotions come up for you. Is there anything that makes you feel some resistance? Are you afraid of any of the images that you chose? Is there anything there that feels like it is something you “should be doing” rather than what you truly desire? What do those feelings tell you about yourself, your life and your business? You can always edit or make a new one. This is not something that is done once. I have done many vision boards now over the last 12 years. I am looking forward to updating my business dream board in a week or so during my annual favorite week of the year trip to Mendocino.
To recap: Review and update your vision boards frequently. Constantly stay on the lookout for new images, better words, new inspiration, and more tangible representations of what you want. Although they may be just one aspect of your planning for your business and life, they can be a very important part of it energetically and creatively. The more specific and emotionally moving the board is for you, the more of an impact it will have on your life and your business! I keep my past vision boards too because it is so fun to look back and see all the wonderful things that have come into my life that started as something I cut out from a magazine and then it took on a life of its own on one of my vision boards. Someday I will share with you the pictures of the kids and the man I wanted to meet. I had these great pictures on my vision boards for several years before I met Mark and the kids and guess what? It all came true! This is such a fun and creative process and it gives you a wonderful chance to truly put the law of attraction to work for you!
Have fun with this! I would love to see your vision boards and your comments below.