Want your network marketing business to be super successful? Then you need to do whatever it takes to to build a solid prospect list. This is the backbone of mlm – without a solid team and a new stream of prospects, your business can stall before it gets off the ground. You can definitely find prospects online, but why would you leave out actually meeting people too? We are in the relationship business and connecting with people in person can change your business fast! Here are nine simple steps to focus on what will help build your prospect list like a rockstar.
1. First, understand that you can’t just sit there and wait for prospects to come to you. If you want to make more money, you are going to have to work smart to find and attract prospects.
2. To start, figure out who you want to help and how you help them. Who is your ideal customer? What solution do you provide for their issues? Then think about where those people hang out (both online and offline).
3. Next, go out and find them. Reach out to them and let them know that you are there to meet their needs! Perhaps your prospects are more likely to go to a certain event, conference, meetup group or class. Do not be afraid to go to those places, meet people and tell them about yourself. Network, network, network! As daunting as it can be to put yourself out there sometimes, we always feel better when we do. Step over those fears and go meet people. I love online too AND I love meeting people and connecting best.
4. To help you network, set a goal for yourself, such as talking to three new people every day about your business and what you do.
5. Keep in mind that when telling people about your business you want to hold their attention and not drive them away. Be able to tell your elevator synopsis about your business in 30 seconds or less in a way that makes sense. (Elevator meaning that if you were in an elevator and only had a few seconds what would you say?)
6. Social media is a great marketing tool. It just has a long lead generation cycle and some people may follow you on Twitter or be friends with you on Facebook for months or even years before they decide to buy something from you. Therefore, you need to be present on social networking sites. Be sure to always be available to answer questions, engage with people in your network and consistently share great, valuable and helpful content. It is still about connecting with people. Just because it’s online, that doesn’t change.
7. As you meet more people, really listen to them. It is the client who is the best source of information about how you can improve your business and share the products or services you offer. Naturally, it is the client who can really help you find more prospects and make more money. So get out there, listen to what they want from you and sell it to them! You can then use that information to show prospects that you have the solution to their problem and that you offer multiple choices for them to engage with.
8. Always follow up! The fortune is in the follow up. Failing to follow up is one of the most common ways that business owners fail to close the deal and get another client. If you want to make more money and get more prospects, be sure to follow up. Statistics show that we typically say no five times before we say yes. How many times are you asking? Do you hear one no and that is it? Sometimes No means No but often it means not right now. Circle back with people and have fun with it. Set a recurring event to follow up with your prospect that you know would be great at this and ask with a smile on your face: “Is now a better time to take a look at this? You know I am going to keep asking every month until you say yes.”
9. Finally figure out what tools and technology you need to get your new customers or distributors set up. Many of us don’t actually enroll new people because we don’t know what to do with them once we have them. If you don’t have a system in place (either yours, your uplines or your company’s system), then you will fall into that trap of not knowing what to do next and you will get overwhelmed. Figure out how you will get a new person started so you will be ready.
If you are just getting into the MLM industry, print this list out and keep it by your computer. When times get tough, don’t give up. Just keep following these 9 steps. You’ve got this! All the best, Kathleen